I love YA, that’s pretty obvious to anyone who knows me. But there are also things I wish would change or that we could see more of in YA these days. I’m sure we all have such a list so feel free to add your own at the bottom in the comments.
- A few more YA books, especially in fantasy and dystopian, without a romance. I love a good romance but I would like a book that is realistic that it’s a little hard to have a relationship when you’re saving the world.
- More duologies and series. Give me 2 books, give me 4. Give me five and 6, I love a good long series. But I tell you I’m getting sick to death of trilogies.
- More characters like Kestral who can kick butt with their minds instead of their bodies.
- Bisexual characters who aren’t stereotypes.
- Minority characters who aren’t described using food.
- Proud red heads- seriously being a redhead is awesome! Own it!
- Nerd girls who embrace their love of nerd culture. Unapologetic about loving video games, TV shows, and all kinds of fandoms.
- Girl characters talking about something other than boys with their other girl friends.
- Books about a character’s relationship with their families (outside of their opinions on a love interest).
- MORE BOARDING SCHOOLS! But maybe with characters that actually go to class.
- Romances with a slow build. Maybe even over multiple books. None of this instalove crap.
- Some good bromance stories.
- More books set in countries other than the United States. Maybe a few in New Zealand, Wales, or Ireland. That would be cool.
I think that’s a pretty good list for now. What do you wish there was more of?
From my shelf to yours,